Director, Christie’s Education Asia
Reporting to the International MD Christie’s Education, the primary function of this role is to develop Christie’s Education programmes across the Asia region, both in terms of developing local programmes and in terms of working with regional institutions to create opportunities for Christie’s Education in New York and London. In addition to working on existing programs, the role would also seek to develop new partnerships, online programs, and potentially build a degree-program based in Asia.
This role requires an experienced professional, with a broad network and 5-10 years’ experience in the art industry, preferably at Christie’s. They must be able to focus and prioritise on the key objectives while maintaining mutual trust and confidence across a range of competing interest groups across the organization. They must be able to manage their time very effectively and understand the revenue and cost drivers for both the local and international business model. They have to be able to work collaboratively and, as the business develops, be able to embrace new colleagues and help build teams. At all times they must be able to represent and articulate the aims and objectives of both Christie’s Education and Christie’s, and be prepared to lecture and undertake other public speaking opportunities as requested
1. Revenue Generation
- Ensure financial and operating targets are achieved according to the Business Plan agreed with the Managing Director,
- Plan, develop and execute joint programs in partnership with other educational institutions as required, including building curriculum, maintaining profitability, sourcing speakers, and overseeing execution, with a view to turning this into a long term partnership and revenue stream
- Develop and execute short courses in Hong Kong in both English and Mandarin, including building curriculum, maintaining profitability, sourcing speakers, recruitment, and overseeing execution. These courses should be a flexible product that can be taken to any country in the region, and also delivered in Europe and the US as required,
- In collaboration with the regional Client Strategy team identify, target and sell the concept of bespoke 1-1 teaching programmes for top clients in subjects of their choice and locations to be agreed as appropriate.
2. Client Development
- Explore and develop Christie’s Education’s presence in Asia
- Cultivate relationships with key museums, cultural institutions, and universities in order to maintain a network of guest lecturers.
3. Networking and business development
- Cultivate and maintain an active network of academics and art professionals who might lecture for Christie’s Education
- Play an active role in engaging and cultivating all continuing education alumni with the aim of upselling future courses both short and full time
- Act as an ambassador for Christie’s, maintain and develop relationships with external bodies including major cultural institutions with appropriate networking
- Develop networks and relationships with staff across Christie’s Auction and Business Development personnel with the objective of raising the visibility of Christie’s Education within the rest of the group whilst supporting the corporate objectives
- With the support of the UK business manager and the Hong Kong Finance Director, maintain three year strategic plan reflecting these objectives and the development required to achieve them
- Formulate plan for development of online program in China and Asia.
- In collaboration with the International Marketing Director for CE and the Regional Marketing Director for Asia, ensure that all marketing material, press and communications are consistent with, and true to the spirit of, the aims and ambitions of the corporate strategy.
- Ensure also that all material is aligned with global branding guidelines and delivered in order to obtain maximum engagement from the consumer.
6. International Co-operation
- Build and foster relationships with other Christie’s Education institutions, the auction and business development divisions, exploring opportunities to develop a global brand and reputation.
- Maintain regular and timely communication with the International and Regional Managing directors, keeping both up to date with progress and developments
- Collaborate with regional finance and with the business manager to build the budgets annually
- Build networks based on mutual trust and confidence across all functions of the organization necessary to further the aims and objectives of both Christie’s and Christie’s Education
7. Project Management
- Manage the direct reports, setting realistic objectives, measuring performance and undertaking performance reviews
- Train the direct reports in the necessary skills and support them to expand their role over time
Skills & Experience:
- Fluency in English and Mandarin is required; proficiency in Cantonese is preferred. Both written and spoken sills required
- Degree in Art History or Business management
- Minimum 2 years of solid working experience within the art industry; previous museum, auction house, art gallery, art fair, art magazine or art institution experience preferred
- Experience managing people and working internationally
- Experience in P&L accountability and managing budgets.
- Experience in teaching and research is a plus but not necessary
- Experience with online programme development and delivery a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Natural networker with an open and sociable personality. Ability to liaise well with academics, collectors, curators, private individuals and representatives of the art industry both large and small
- Ability to follow through with an open communication style that shares commercial knowledge with peers, superiors and direct reports as appropriate
- Ability to rapidly develop rapport with clients and students/course participants and to understand their needs
- Ability to engage public-speaking activities with confidence
- A willingness to engage with information technology at work and use social media to engage with students
- Flexible, demonstrated capability to adhere to deadlines and to manage multiple tasks and requests
- Excellent interpersonal skills; proven ability to work both independently and under supervision
- High level of accuracy; attention to detail
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel & PowerPoint
Closing Date: Sunday November 19th, 2017